Perfect for entertaining, or for a family dinner with the hopes of leftovers, here's how we've been enjoying our grilled veggies. Our secret is to include a punnet of figs (so cheap at the moment - and they used to be such a luxury!) and to marinade before grilling. These veggies are delicious on the side of some barbecued steaks, sausages or halloumi.
This recipe can be made FODMAP friendly with some easy swaps, see the notes below
GF, LF, FF (see notes)
INGREDIENTS (for 4-6 people)
- 1-2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed
- 1-2 bunches of cherry tomatoes, on the stem if possible
- 1 bunch of dutch carrots, trimmed
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into strips
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1-2 yellow squash,sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- punnet of figs (5 or so), optional, but amazing
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- heaped teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- small handful chopped fresh basil
- small handful chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat BBQ to medium high heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together evoo, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, basil and rosemary, season with salt and pepper.
- Toss marinade with veggies, let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Grill veggies on bbq hotplate. Cook, turning occasionally, until vegetables are lightly charred all over, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with any remaining marinade.
FF - omit garlic, onion, asparagus and figs. Suggest substituting grapes for figs.
Check out more simple, healthy and family friendly recipes here.