This is a great salad, high in protein, great for vegetarian or coeliac guests.
- 1 cup Lentils du Puy or french green lentils
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded flat-leaf parsley
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced into four lengthways and diced
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with 1½ cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Strain and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, soak the red onions in the lemon juice – I find this reduces the bitter onion taste.
- After the onion has soaked for about 20 minutes, drain the lemon juice and whisk with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Add the lentils and onion and allow to cool.
- Add the parsley, mint and cucumber and stir gently to combine. Place in a serving dish and top with the crumbled feta.
- Fantastic on its own or with some lamb or sausages for the carnivores