Although I love my 5 star muesli and can pretty much eat it every day of the year, lately the cool autumn mornings have had me craving a warm breakfast. I love steel cut oats but I haven't got 20 minutes to spend stirring them on a school/work/uni morning. Instead I quickly prep them while I am cleaning up after dinner and they are all ready to be warmed through first thing in the morning. The added quinoa bumps up the protein levels - this recipe will fill you up all morning. This recipe was inspired by marin mama cooks but I've used my german death machine (the thermomix) to prep them - you can also just use a saucepan, spoon and stove.
- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and scrubbed in a fine mesh sieve)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups your choice of milk
- pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients in your thermomix/saucepan.
- Thermomix - 100 degrees/ 6 minutes/reverse speed 3. Leave it to sit overnight.
- Stovetop - Bring to the boil on a medium-high heat, stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Give one last stir, cover it and let it sit overnight.
- In the morning the milk and water will have all been absorbed and your porridge is ready to be heated up and served.
- I like to serve it with either chopped banana and dates or like I have here with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.