Happy Diwali! Diwali is the Indian festival of lights - and signifies the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair. Let's celebrate by sharing a meal together - here's a beautiful prawn curry that I learnt how to make when I lived in Singapore. The flavours are very fresh with a beautiful pop of mint.Read More
A vegetable hack I've been using a lot lately is to mix in half cauliflower rice with our brown basmati. Tonight I'm sharing my cauliflower fried rice which is a huge hit. I serve it with quickly pickled cucumber, a fried egg and some tamari almonds. I did wonder how the "rice" would be received - see picture below, but mixed in with aromatic ginger and coriander plus the colour somewhat disguised by turmeric no-one gave it a second thought!
Cauliflower is a fantastic vegetable being a source of cancer-fighting agents (glucosinolates). I've been using a lot of turmeric in my recipes recently as the active ingredient -curcumin - as it has been linked to warding off dementia and preventing cancer. The AIS is investigating the anti-inflammatory properties for use as a sports supplement.
(I am listing this a vegetarian, but you'll need to take out the ham)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 200g packet of pre-cooked brown basmati rice
- 2 french shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cm piece of ginger
- 1 red chilli (seeds removed)
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 100g ham
- 2-3 tab tamari
- 2-3 tsp tomato sauce (I use sugar free)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- shallots to serve
- fried egg to serve
- cucumber pickle to serve
- In a food processor or by hand pulse together the cauliflower florets and broccolini. Remove and set aside.
- In food processor or by hand chop the shallots, garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander.
- In a heavy bottom frypan or wok fry the processed shallot mixture in a tsp or so of coconut oil or olive oil. Stir fry for 3 minutes then add ham and fry for another minute or so.
- Add pulsed cauliflower, broccolini and rice and fry for another minute.
- Add turmeric, paprika, tamari and tomato sauce and fry for a few minutes.
- I like to serve with a fried egg, some pickled cucumber, a squeeze of lime and some tamari almonds
- Make a quick cucumber pickle by slicing up 2 cucumbers, pour over a little rice wine vinegar, a squeeze of lime juice and a tsp of sugar.