This is my new favourite dinner that I could eat every day for a month and not tire of. You will desperately hope there will be enough for leftovers for lunch! This recipe is full of veggies, black beans and quinoa so it delivers plenty of fibre and plant based protein which is a winner for preventing lifestyle diseases such as some cancers, cardiovascular disease and stroke plus it tastes amazing and will keep you full for ages.
This recipe was inspired by marin mama cooks but I've increased the veggies and beans a bit and "Australianised" the ingredients. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red chilli, half the seeds removed and sliced
- 1 cup well-rinsed and scrubbed quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 rinsed and drained cans of black beans
- 1 can tinned diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 2 red capsicums, diced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice powder (I used Herbies but masterfoods do one too or use 1/2 tsp chilli, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander)
- pinch of salt
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- juice of one lime
- chopped fresh coriander leaves, greek yoghurt and shredded sharp cheese to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large frypan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and fresh chilli and cook for one minute stirring well.
Add in the chicken stock, quinoa, black beans, tinned tomatoes, zucchini, capsicum, salt, and spices.
Stir well, then bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes until cooked.
Before serving stir through the lime juice and chopped coriander. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of greek yoghurt.