My Facebook feed at the moment of tips and tricks of how to "survive" the holiday season as if celebrating with friends and family is something to be dreaded. I love a party and I'd hate to think of people depriving themselves but it's worth knowing some tricks and tips so you can enjoy the party without that stuffed full feeling.
Here's my 6 top tips to enjoy 6 weeks of the silly season.
- Try not to turn up to the party ravenous - make sure you've had a really good lunch with plenty of veggies and protein. If you're still hungry mid afternoon have a snack - say an apple and some nuts with some chopped up veggies. You'll feel much more in control and not dive straight into the bowl of chips and dip
- Choose the food & drink you really love. I love a beautiful french champagne and some rich creamy St Agur cheese. But I can leave cheap Sauvignon Blanc and deep fried canapés. Savour the experience of eating good quality food rather than high fat snacks that leave you feeling bloated and heavy afterwards.
- Practice your mindful eating "gap" by asking yourself "do I really feel like eating this?" - this simple question is often enough to help you control the amount of food you are eating. Another simple trick is to limit yourself to just 3-5 canapés at any one event and say it out loud to yourself before you go into the party.
- Count your drinks - Try to have at least two alcohol-free days each week to give your liver a break and make every second drink at the party water. You can offer to drive sometimes too.
- Christmas is one day not two months - you don't need a mince pie in November. Try to differentiate “special” occasions from run of the mill drinks and parties with work colleagues and acquaintances. This way you can indulge when there is a truly special occasion but keep on track with healthy habits the rest of the time.
- Offer to bring a plate. Everyone loves it if you go to the effort of providing a whole lot of veggie sticks and homemade dips, and they are always eaten, after all we're all grownups and most people don't really want the deep fried food. Here are some of my favourites.
Do you need help getting your healthy eating back on track? My 6 week customised nutrition program was specially designed to help you establish healthy eating habits, lose weight, or recover from the diet cycle. Find out more here.