In worrying news for hummus fans the world over - we are facing a GLOBAL SHORTAGE OF CHICKPEAS! After the avocado crisis I'm not sure how I'll cope! In the meantime, while tinned chickpeas are still cheap I'll stock up. This salad has been voted as the new family favourite - it features chickpeas roasted til crispy tossed with coriander, cumin and paprika, roasted along side some pumpkin. Served with rocket, mint, toasted pepitas, pomegranate seeds and some halloumi too.
Chickpeas are a fabulous source of plant protein and are high in fibre, and are high in manganese, copper and iron. Well rinsed canned chickpeas and low FODMAP up to 1/4 cup so this recipe can be made FODMAP friendly (modifications shown in recipe).
- 400g can chickpeas
- 500g peeled pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, coriander and smoked paprika
- big handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 160g rocket (arugula)
- seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate
- 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs of red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- (optional) grilled halloumi to serve (I use my sandwich press to cook halloumi on both sides at once)
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and cut the pumpkin into bite-size pieces.
- Place the pumpkin on tray, drizzle over 1/2 tbs oil and 1 tsp honey, roast for 5 mins. Add the chickpeas, drizzle over the spice mix and 1/2 tbs oil and roast for a further 15-20 mins until golden.
- Meanwhile, pick the mint leaves (discard stems) and coarsely chop. Heat a large frypan over medium heat. Toast the pepitas for 3-4 mins until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Make a dressing by mixing 1 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs red wine vinegar and 1 tsp honey in a small bowl.
- Place rocket leaves in bowl, top with roasted pumpkin and chickpeas. Pour over dressing. and toss to combine. Serve salad topped with the halloumi (if using), mint, pomegranate and pepitas
GF, VG, FF - to modify for FODMAP FRIENDLY - measure portion size of chickpeas to 1/4 cup, use Jap pumpkin, omit honey and pomegranate