This is a fabulous recipe for a night where you are tired - the oven can do all the work. Our oven has a reliable oven timer so I often pop this on to cook while I am driving around to pick the kids up from rugby practice etc. It won't spoil if you leave it in the oven for 10 more minutes. You can vary the veggies depending on what the team will eat and also add a tin of cannellini beans to make a cheats' cassoulet.
- 1 red onion
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 red capsicums
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme and rosemary leaves
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans (optional)
- 12 kalamata olives, unpitted
- fresh rosemary and thyme for serving
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Cut the onion into quarters, and the head of garlic in half crosswise.
- Cut the eggplant into half and then rounds, the zucchinis into diagonal slices and the capsicums into thick slices, discarding core and seeds.
- Arrange in a large oiled baking tray, burying the garlic halves cut-side down. Add the canned tomatoes and their juices, and a dash of water.
- Tuck in the pricked sausages, drizzle with olive oil and scatter with thyme and rosemary, sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then add the zucchini and turn the sausages. Cook for another 15 minutes, until the veggies are cooked and sausages are browned.
- To serve, scatter with olives, rosemary and thyme. Squeeze the roasted garlic on top, and drizzle with the pan juices.
Calories: 290 Fat:16g Saturated fat:4 Carbohydrates:28g Fiber:9g Protein:12g