With the arrival of spring in Sydney I've had a craving for this Jamie Oliver inspired recipe. Salmon is a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids which are inti-inflammatory and extremely beneficial to your health - they can help lower cholesterol, reduce high blood pressure, and may reduce symptoms of arthritis and depression. I've accompanied the salmon with salsa verde and some lovely roasted veggies.Read More
This is how I like to eat in summer - a big salad topped with delicious steak. I discovered this salad when I was pregnant as I was trying to increase my iron stores and eat lots of leafy greens. It's now a firm family favourite and perfect for my teenage children who need zinc and iron for growth, energy and immunity.
GF, LF, FF - see below for notes
- 400 g lean beef (I like sirloin or porterhouse)
- plenty of black pepper
- olive oil
- 2 large handfuls asian salad mix or baby spinach leaves
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 20 green beans, sugar snap peas or snow peas, blanched
- 2 red capsicums,sliced
- 2 Lebanese / Japanese cucumbers sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 small bunch coriander picked
- 1 small bunch mint picked
- Cashews to sprinkle over
- juice from 2-3 limes
- 1 sliced red chilli (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon palm sugar (or castor sugar)
- Season the steak with the pepper and cook in a hot pan with a little olive oil until medium rare. Remove from the pan, cover loosely and allow to rest for about 5 minutes then slice thinly.
- Combine the salad leaves, tomatoes, green beans, capsicum, cucumber, onion and herbs.
- Add the sliced beef.
- Make the dressing by mixing the lime juice, chilli, fish sauce and sugar.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix through. Top with a small handful of cashews.
- Divide between serving bowls and enjoy. Lean chicken breast, grilled fish or grilled firm tofu can be used in place of the beef.
GF - check fish sauce,
FF (FODMAP friendly) - substitute green tops of spring onion for onion, limit portion of snow peas to five pods, substitute peanuts for cashews